Today we are talking about my favorite healthy snacks.
Who doesn’t love snacking? Sometimes snacking is my favorite part of the day. Here are some my favorite healthy snacks and a few reasons why they are so good for you.
- Bell Peppers are a natural weight loss food
- Bell Peppers can boost our metabolism
- Bell Peppers keep immature fat cells from developing into full fledged ones
- Bell Peppers are loaded with vitamins
- Protein – Protein – Protein
- Boiled eggs add good fats to your diet
- Boiled eggs pack important vitamins to help protect your eyes and keep your bone strong
- Protein – Protein – Protein
- Smoked Salmon provides a good source of good fat and essential minerals including iron
- 3oz servings of smoked salmon provides 41% of the recommended omega-3 fatty acids intake for women, 28% for men
- Individually packaged food lets you know exactly how many calories you are eating
- String cheese is a good source of Calcium
- String Cheese contains a large amount of other essential nutrients such as phosphorous, zinc, riboflavin, b12, & vitamin A
- Sweet Potatoes are high in B6
- Sweet Potatoes are a good source of Vitamin C, iron
- Sweet Potatoes are a good source of magnesium which is the relaxation and anti-stress mineral
- Fruit leather contains no chemical preservatives or artificial sugars
- Dried fruit generally contains high fiver
- Fruit leather is a good source of antioxidants
- Longer shelf life than fresh fruit
- Granola helps lower your cholesterol and prevents certain chronic diseases like heart disease and cancer
- The Fiber in granola bars help digestion and prevents constipation
- Soluble fiber in oats are helpful for lowering bad cholesterol levels
- Almonds are an easy way to incorporate crucial nutrients in your diet
- Almonds are rich in Vitamin E, calcium, magnesium, and potassium
- Almonds are a significant source of protein and fiber while naturally low in sugar
- There are only 160 calories in 23 almonds (a handful)
- Oatmeal “may” help lower cholesterol and reduce the risk of heart disease
- Oatmeal can help you control your weight
- Oatmeal may reduce the risk for type 2 diabetes
- Okra helps promotes healthy pregnancy
- Okra helps prevent diabetes
- Okra helps with kidney disease, supports colon healthy, and promotes healthy skin
Today is all about cooking! I’ve been trying to save every penny we have for our upcoming trip to Miami, by cooking all of our meals. I’ve created some delicious healthy recipes that my boyfriend and I adored. I also made a polka-dot layer cake that I’m uber proud of. I hope you all enjoy these recipes as much I as took pleasure in making them.
I’ve seen this recipe on different health blogs recently but it never really turned me on. Pizza curst made solely out of cauliflower…. umm no thank you. While talking to my boyfriends Mother last week, she gave me this recipe to cauliflower pizza, and said it was Delicious. With a recommendations like that, I had to try it out.
2-1/2 cups cauliflower
1 egg white
1 cup shredded low fat mozzarella cheese
2 tbs grated Parmesan cheese
1 tsp Basil
1 tsp dried oregano
pinch of sea salt and pepper
Preheat oven to 425 F
Spray or grease your pizza pan (I used a cast iron skillet)
Place cauliflower into food processor and chop until fine, if mixture gets watery you have gone too far (if you do no have a food processor use a blender or grate cauliflower)
Combine the rest of the ingredients and spread the dough out evenly onto your pan, making sure it not thin in any spots
Bake crust for 15-20 minutes, until the crust looks slightly brown
Remove from oven to add your sauce and toppings
I made a mini pepper, onion, and mushroom pizza, and sauteed my toppings for 3-4 minutes
Place back in the oven for an additional 5-10 minutes
Remove from oven and let sit for 5 minutes
Cut and enjoy
This pizza was really tasty. I couldn’t believe the crust, it tasted a lot like a regular pizza crust, with none of the guilt. Even my boyfriend asked for a few pieces, it was really that delicious. He also couldn’t believe I didn’t use any flour in the recipe.
This one is a keeper. It a good way to hide vegetables in common foods that your kids/husband/family will really enjoy
2lbs chicke wings
1/4 cup honey
2 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
1 tbsp chili garlic sauce
1 tbsp sesame seed oil
2 tbsp teriyaki sauce
1 tbsp rice vinegar
2 cloves garlic
1 inch fresh ginger
2 sliced green onions
as needed non-stick spray
Preheat oven to 450 degrees
In a bowl combine honey, soy sauce, chili garlic sauce, rice vinegar, sesame oil, and teriyaki sauce.
Peek ginger and grate it using a small cheese grater
Press garlic, add ginger and garlic to mixture, and stir to combine
Place chicken wings in a colander and rinse well
Cut each wing at the joint
Add the wings to the bowl of sauce and stir to coat and place them in preheated oven
After 25 minutes of baking, stir the wings to re-coat with sauce then turn the oven to broil
Broil for 3-5 minutes, stir then broil again for 3-5 minutes
Because broiling cooks fast and every oven is different keep an close eye on your wings.
Keep stirring them until they have turned nice and brown
The sauce should have reduced and thickened significantly during the broiling stage
Let wings cool for 5 minutes before serving
Sauce will thicken as chicken cools
Sprinkle sliced green onions on top
- Complete Cardio Interval Routine Pictured below
- Complete each exercise for 30 seconds 3xs each
- Rest for 60 seconds between each exercise sets
- Try to keep up a steady pace during the routine
- Drink Plenty of water this week
- If any exercise is too strenuous do a low impact version
- Push yourself through this routine, it can get a little taxing
- Cardio Interval Training challenges your pace, you slow down to recover only to challenge your pace again
- According to research published in the International Journal of Obesity, interval training targets your waistline, adding a burst of speed that can help you lose stubborn abdominal fat
- Increases the after burn effect, post exercise your body burns more calories, even during sleep and rest
- Saves time
- Decreases resting heart rate
- Exercise mat or big towel
- Stop watch, or stop watch app on phone
- Strength, endurance, and will power
(low impact: regular squats)
Because I exercise so much, I’m constantly looking for different ways to push myself past my current limit. No matter how many times I complete this cardio interval routine, it always challenges me. By the 3rd set I’m usually trying to talk my self out of finishing the routine.
I also love that its a timed routine, instead of a set based one. Instead of completing 20 pushups I complete as many push ups as I can, which makes it easier and challenging at the same time.
I challenge you to drink more water
- Increase your water intake
- Studies have produced varying recommendations about the amount of water actually needed
- Your water intake depends on many factors ie you health, how active you are, where you live and many more
- Baseline recommendations: Drink at least 8 glass of water a day
- For a more detail water intake calulations click here
- Water helps build muscle
- Water Increases Cognitive Function
- WAter helps your joints stay strong, healthy and lubricated
- Shiner hair, shiner skin, better complexion
- Water helps you lose weight
- You body is 60% water
I grew up drinking water more than anything else. Of course we had sodas, koolaid, juice, and ice tea, but water was king in my house. I try to keep the tradition of drinking plenty of water going now that I’m older, and I’ve been pretty successful in spurts. I am constantly calculating my water intake for the day. This challenge is going to help remind you to drink more water daily.
- Write down all of the things/events/people that trigger you daily (Trigger means to feel annoyed, angry, sad, frustrated,small..)
- These triggers are your blind spots
- Once you identify your triggers, start addressing them one by one
- Blind spots, in personal development terms, are things about ourself that we are unaware of
- Identifying your blind spots helps identify the area that need improvements and that we are unaware of
- This exercise helps you discover new things about yourself
- This exercise will also expose some blind spots that you didn’t realize you had
- Clean piece of paper
- Your favorite writing utensils
- An open mind
That’s all today Friends
intake to 30% of calories
calories you need according to the formula:
add up the total everyday
*If 4 grams equal 1 tsp of fat then
day is 1 gram of extra body fat.
extra body fat.
total of 365 grams of extra body weight you will gain annually
when you reach age 50.
only ten years
excessive amount than the standard one
diseases are more frequent in the US
Books on Fat
If you want/need more information about good fats, bad fats, and incorporating fat into a healthy diet check out these books:
I hope you enjoyed it.
Since I challenged all of you to eat seasonably this week, I figured I should share some of my favorite seasonal vegetable recipes.
healthy, delectable, delicate, recipe
12oz fresh spinach
1/2 cup part skim ricotta cheese or low fat cottage cheese
1/4 cup low fat parmesan cheese (more for garnish)
1/4 cup low fat mozzarella cheese
2 large eggs
1 clove garlic minced
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Pinch of red pepper flakes if desired
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F
Pulse spinach until finely chopped and almost liquid
Transfer to medium bowl and add ricotta, parmesan, eggs, garlic, salt, pepper and stir to combine
Coat a 8 cup muffin pan with cooking spray
Divide mixture among 8 cups
Bake spinach cakes until set, about 20 minutes
Let stand in pan for 5 minutes
Lossen the edges with a knife and turn out onto a clean cutting board or large plate
Serve warm, sprinkled with more parmesan if desired
2 cakes per serving!!
I’m going to Miami in a few weeks and I’ve reved up my workout to make sure I’m ready for the beach. I’m never really intimidated by my bikini, but I do want to be tighter then I am right now.
I could pout and wish I was someone other then myself, maybe a woman with perfect breasts, a naturally flat toned stomach, and manageable thighs. Nope that’s not me, I’m all about self love. I love my little body, my big booty, small waist, my voluptuous figure. That doesn’t mean I have to give up there. I will do whatever I can to do get where I want to go.
All that said, I’ve reved up my workout routine and I wanted to share it with all of you.
Yesterday I did an interval cardio routine and my beach body workout. The workout targets arms, abdominals, legs, butt, cardio endurance all of the above. Its annoying, hard, and effective. I adapted this workout from other workout routines I love to hate.
complete each exercise for 30 seconds, go directly into next exercise, rest for 30 seconds after the 4th exercise. Complete x3
I’m also adding some kettle bells into the mix to make sure I have muscle tone throughout. I enjoy kettle bells, they just got too expensive to keep up with. I was moving up in weight every 3 weeks, the next kettle bell I need costs $75 and I just can’t bring myself to purchase it. They have kettle bells at my gym, but I don’t like working out in front of people. Too many eyes on me. It makes me nervous which takes the concentration away from my workout.
I’ll share my Kettle Bell workout with you tomorrow, its killer!
To top it all off I’ll be working in some Bikram Yoga Classes this week and next week. Bikram always keeps my skin tight and taunt, while raising my heart beat and sweating like a pig.
After all of these sweat jerking routines, I’m also eating clean. My lunches look like this right now:
a big salad, no salad dressings, olive oil and salt & pepper, with a few eggs, peppers, toasted almonds and a sweet potato.
**this salad is on a bed of Arugula. Arugula is in season!
Whenever I want to lose a few extra pounds, I revert back to salads. As much as I would rather be eating potatoes day and night, I enjoy having control over my diet. Controlling my diet controls my weight.
All of you are on this crazy journey with me. I hope to post a few pictures of me in my bikinis during this vacation, pictures that I’m actually proud of. Cross your fingers and wish me luck. It’s going to be a long, sweaty, ride.
You know I’ll keep you posted
Cooking Light Magazine
Today is Challenge
Challenge 5 days this week
- Complete my Abdominal Challenge 5 days this week
- Do 25 reps of each exercise at a medium to fast pace
- You should work up a small sweat
- Try not to rest in between exercises
- Drink plenty of water this week
I swear by this abdominal challenge, I know it works, I’m living prof.
- Eat produce that is currently in season for the rest of the week
- Vegetables in Season:
- brussels sprouts
- mustard greens
- Printable chart of vegetable seasonality
- When produce is in season, the abundance of the crop usually makes it less expensive, especially at farmers markets
- In season produce is naturally more flavorful
- Produce grown in its proper season, under the correct growing conditions, exhibits all of its natural nutrients
- Seasonal fruits and veggies don’t have to endure as much travel, so they don’t loose those vital nutrients
- Since seasonal vegetables don’t travel as far to reach their destination you can reduce your carbon footprint
- In Season Produce and some imagination
- For quick and easy vegetable recipes check out: www.thekitchn.com
Create your own challenge, (i.e. weight loss, fitness, spending time with family, hanging out with friends, saving money, etc) compete with one of your like-minded friends, co-workers, or family members.
- Competition is not only healthy, it’s also a positive way to grow
- Setting challenges and competing with a friend, can motivate you to finally get out of your comfort zone
- You will gain more competing with a friend then going at it alone
- A like-minded friend, relative, co-worker…
- Your imagination
I don’t have many friends, the friends I do have support me and all of my endeavors.
I have one friend that keeps me on track with my relationship, she makes sure that I’m not neglecting myself or my man.
I have another friend that keeps track of my career goals and aspirations. She constantly asks me what I’m working on, and if she can help.
I have another friend that likes to talk about fitness issues with me.
All of my friends play an active roll in my success. If I didn’t have people holding me accountable, I might let some things slip through the cracks. But because I don’t want to disappoint any one of them, I keep moving forward, striving to reach my dreams.
I want all of you to create that kind of love and support in your life. This challenge is the first step…
That’s all today Friends
Hiddy Ho Friends
Transfer to 9 inch glass pie dish (I used a 9inch cast iron skillet instead)
Trim overhang to 1-inch , crimp edges, cover, chill
Melt butter in large non stick skillet over med-low heat
Add leeks and thyme, sprinkle with salt and pepper
Cover and cook until leeks are very tender but not brown, stirring often about 10 minutes
Add Chard sauté until wilted, about 2 minutes
Remove mixture from heat and let cool
Position rack in bottom of oven and preheat 425 degrees F
Whisk milk, 3 large eggs, 2 egg yolks, salt and pepper in large bowl
Mix in cooled leek mixture
Pour filling into crust
Bake tart 15 minutes
Reduce heat to 350 degrees F and bake until filling is puffed and set in the center, about 15 minutes longer
Transfer to rack
You need positive external experiences (e.g. compliments from friends) to counteract the negative feelings and thoughts that constantly plague you. Even then the good feeling (such as from a good grade or compliment is usually temporary.
Work on making positive memories and positive experiences. Don’t be affairs to stand up for yourself. Participate in the weekly self help challenges posted every Monday on this blog. Make small changes in the correct direction.